Fuente discusses damage Wide News to Farley, o-line and others meet with media
August three, 2017
Head Coach Justin Fuente
BLACKSBURG – Head teach Justin Fuente and 5 scholar-athletes spoke with participants of the media on Thursday for the primary media briefing because of the start of camp. They touched upon a myriad of topics. Here’s what you need to recognize:
READ MORE :
- Trains, Planes, Automobiles and greater coming to Geneseo
- Facebook’s costly cricket bid indicates appetite for huge sports activities occasions
- Gifts for Kids – Technology Gadgets Versus Traditional Toys
- Redrow earnings leap no matter broader belongings market slowdown
- Investors Can’t Get Enough of China Property Developer Bonds
GOOD NEWS, BAD NEWS
· Good News – The first USA Today Amway Coaches Poll of the season was launched and the Hokies checked in at No. 22. The last time Tech became ranked to begin a season became 2012 once they had been ranked at No. 16. The Hokies’ Week One opponent, West Virginia, sits at No. 20. Tech joined four other ACC faculties inside the Top 25 – Florida State (3), Clemson (five), Louisville (17) and Miami (18).
· Bad News – Fuente confirmed that freshman WR Caleb Farley suffered a season-ending right knee injury in Tuesday’s practice that will probably stop his season. The Hickory, North Carolina local may be evaluated by means of the Virginia Tech Athletics scientific team of workers in the near future. Farley moved to the receiver inside the spring after putting together a record-placing profession as a quarterback at Maiden High School.
FUENTE ON SCHEDULING
The head instructs changed into requested about Virginia Tech’s current announcement of a domestic-and-domestic collection with BYU in 2026 and 2030 and more than one destiny matchups with in-nation fighters Liberty, Old Dominion and VMI.
Overall, the second one-year head instructs appreciated the addition of an emblem-call application like BYU, in addition to persevering with the local flavor of latest schedules.
“I’m excited we’re persevering with to play in the vicinity,” Fuente stated. “I like our version if you will, and – I don’t imply any disrespect to everybody we’re gambling – searching for a marquee recreation. I like that. I think we should receive that venture, and with some of the opposite neighborhood video games, we’re trying to preserve it regionalized as first-rate we are able to. Obviously, we’re scheduled out for a while, but I just like the model of looking to stay local after which gambling a marquee non-convention recreation.”
MCC LEASE’S COMEBACK
Redshirt sophomore strolling returned DeShawn McClease is back on the field and wholesome after acting in best one game last season before suffering a shoulder damage.
“I feel 100 percent,” McClease stated. “It feels accurate to be back out here, of course, grinding with my teammates. I haven’t had a touch popping in some time, so I’m really looking forward to that.”
Fuente praised McClease for his talents jogging north and south, notwithstanding his five-foot-9, 190-pound stature. In a position organization that lacked consistency last season, McClease is seeking to have a breakout season.
“I experience like I’m an all-around back. I experience like I can do regardless of the coaches ask me,” McClease said
TELLER TAKING ON A LEADERSHIP ROLE
With the departure of more than one senior leaders at the end of an ultimate season, the Hokies had to look for a few new faces to fill those roles.
Redshirt senior guard Wyatt Teller, a preseason All-ACC selection and taken into consideration by many to be one of the pinnacle NFL prospects on the group, determined to step up and come to be extra of a team chief entering his very last season in Blacksburg. With 32 career starts of evolved, the 0.33-most on the team, Teller became an obvious candidate.
“I feel like a leadership function needed to be taken, so I put the shoes on and commenced on foot with them, and it felt excellent,” Teller stated. “We’re all leaders, which is pleasant. Every unmarried one of the offensive linemen is a leader – of their group, inside the weight room, the entirety. It’s first-class to have that chemistry with the men and have the identical management mindset.”
When requested about the most important issue about being a frontrunner that he discovered, the neophyte in leadership had a simple answer.
“Not reduce to rubble. You can’t mess up loads,” Teller stated. “But it’s critical being yourself. If you’re not a vocal chief, you’re no longer a vocal chief. If you’re a lead-via-example man, then that’s how you’ve got to guide. That’s what I’ve discovered.”